Subject: Re: bug#20741: 24.4; flyspell doesn't work with abbreviations ending in a period

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 21:33:32 +0000

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 at 12:37, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Maybe we should have a list of exceptions?
>

As an upstream spellchecker maintainer, I don't think that's a good idea.
Emacs should just be using the spellchecker. If it's not working, the
problem should be fixed in the spellchecker.

As far as I can see, the problem is not specific to flyspell (mea culpa for
the bug title!).

For now, with current hunspell dictionaries, and using either hunspell, or
enchant with hunspell backend, I have used the workaround of adding a few
words like "etc" to my personal word list.

To be honest, I'm not sure Emacs can do much here. As far as I can tell,
hunspell doesn't cope well with characters like "." that normally are
non-word characters, but *can* occur in a word.

Relatedly, see: https://github.com/hunspell/hunspell/issues/361

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org