Subject: Re: bug#20741: 24.4; flyspell doesn't work with abbreviations ending in a period

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 10:35:46 +0100

On 6 June 2015 at 07:49, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 22:42:39 +0100
> > From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> >
> >     > flyspell marks as incorrect “etc.”, “i.e.”, “e.g.” &c.
> >
> >     I can reproduce part of this with en_GB, but not with en_US. So I
> >     think it's an issue with the dictionary, not with flyspell or ispell.
> >
> > The en_US dictionary contains "etc", which is incorrect.
>
> Not that I'm maintaining those dictionaries, but why is it incorrect,
> in your opinion?  It clearly produces the desirable effect, doesn't it?
>

​No, it produces the undesirable effect of treating "etc" as a correct
spelling.​

Does this mean that your problem is solved, and we can close this bug?
> Or does something still need to be fixed in Emacs?
>

​Sorry, I must have been unclear. I still have the original problem:
without the workaround of adding incorrect spellings to my personal
wordlist, "i.e." and "e.g." are marked as wrong in en_GB. I just double
checked this with the following recipe:

1. Rename my ~/.hunspell_en_GB.

2. Start "emacs -Q"

3. M-x flyspell-mode RET

4. M-x customize-variable RET ispell-program-name RET; set to
"/usr/bin/hunspell" (doing this after step 3 because the variable is not
available for customization before loading ispell)

5. Type "etc. i.e. e.g."

All of the above is now red-underwiggled.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org