Subject: bug#20741: 24.4; flyspell doesn't work with abbreviations ending in a period

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 22:42:39 +0100

On 5 June 2015 at 20:23, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 15:06:40 +0100
> >
> > flyspell marks as incorrect “etc.”, “i.e.”, “e.g.” &c.
>
> I can reproduce part of this with en_GB, but not with en_US.  So I
> think it's an issue with the dictionary, not with flyspell or ispell.
>

The en_US dictionary contains "etc", which is incorrect.

What OTHERCHARS are you looking at?  In Emacs 24.4 and later,
> ispell.el takes that value from the dictionary's .aff file, not from
> the internal database.  So if you customized ispell-dictionary-alist,
> try without those customizations, you shouldn't need them in v24.4.
>

​Oh dear, after ​further investigation this turns out to be because Debian
overrides ispell.el and flyspell.el with its own patched versions, which
predate Emacs 24.4 (they are from 2013).

In what follows, I have moved these patched files aside, and am definitely
working with just Emacs 24.4's versions!

Now, still using hunspell, and having removed "i.e", "e.g" and "etc" from
my en_GB spelling list, I get exactly the same highlighting.

> > ispell sets my default dictionary to en_GB (from my locale, I presume),
>
> Yes.  But you can override that, if you want.
>

​I don't want to override it, it's fine.

​When I mention OTHERCHARS, I am looking at the documentation for
ispell-dictionary-alist. Indeed, when I change language, and I am using
hunspell, the language definitions seem to be auto-generated. With
hunspell, OTHERCHARS is set to include ".".​ But indeed, removing it or
moving it into CASECHARS and NOT-CASECHARS still seems not to help, so I'm
back to my original workaround.

But indeed, apart from when I specifically mentioned customising the
dictionary, I am working with Emacs's default values, not customised at all.

​Thanks very much for your help with this.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org