Subject: bug#20740: 25.0.50; *scratch* is created despite initial-buffer-choice & ini

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 09:13:33 -0400

As per the help messages, I do

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(custom-set-variables
 '(initial-buffer-choice 'remember-notes)
 '(remember-notes-buffer-name "*scratch*"))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

in .emacs.el so that I do not have the "*scratch*" buffer which is not
visiting any file.

However, I still have _both_ "notes" (visiting .emacs.d/notes) and
"*scratch*" buffers when I start emacs.

Note that I also use `desktop-save-mode' (and I manually kill
"*scratch*" on startup, so .emacs.desktop does _not_ have "*scratch*").

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.3.0, NS appkit-1347.57 Version 10.10.3 (Build 14D136))
 of 2015-06-05 on sds-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1347
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

Configured features:
JPEG IMAGEMAGICK ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
line-move-1: Beginning of buffer
funcall-interactively: Beginning of buffer [3 times]
mouse-2, RET: find variable's definition
Mark saved where search started [2 times]

Mark saved where search started
Quit
next-line: End of buffer
line-move-1: Beginning of buffer [3 times]
Scanning for dabbrevs...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo dabbrev emacsbug sendmail gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source tls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
find-func pp help-mode misearch multi-isearch remember nxml-uchnm
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok
dired-aux smerge-mode markdown-mode noutline outline vc-hg flyspell
ispell tex-mode vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
python json finder-inf package epg-config dired warnings midnight gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev
bbdb-loaddefs bbdb bbdb-site timezone rcirc server which-func imenu
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-macs cl-seq eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra seq cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop
frameset cus-start cus-load ido ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d
ess-julia ess-r-d ess-r-completion compile ess-tracebug format-spec
ess-roxy advice hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-s-l ess ess-inf
comint ansi-color ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils ess-custom
executable easymenu ess-compat ess-site cl gv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
time-date disp-table mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded
nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 497253 33214)
 (symbols 48 65609 0)
 (miscs 40 18995 71)
 (strings 32 184058 9878)
 (string-bytes 1 4310708)
 (vectors 16 53457)
 (vector-slots 8 916037 5740)
 (floats 8 800 509)
 (intervals 56 4305 79)
 (buffers 976 73))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1347
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://thereligionofpeace.com http://www.dhimmitude.org
http://openvotingconsortium.org http://islamexposedonline.com
Cannot handle the fatal error due to a fatal error in the fatal error handler.