Subject: bug#20737: 25.0.50; doc of `process-file'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 22:25:47 -0700 (PDT)

The parameters are not described correctly.

This is the complete description/explanation of INFILE and BUFFER:

 File names in INFILE and BUFFER are handled normally, but file
 names in ARGS should be relative to `default-directory', as they
 are passed to the process verbatim.  (This is a difference to
 `call-process' which does not support file handlers for INFILE
 and BUFFER.)

What does that even mean?  One might deduce that INFILE, BUFFER, and
ARGS are lists that can contain file names (and perhaps other stuff),
but that's about all.  What their structure is or what they are for are
completely unknown.

And this is all that is said about parameter DISPLAY:

 Some file handlers might not support all variants, for example
 they might behave as if DISPLAY was nil, regardless of the actual
 value passed.

That tells you less than nothing.

This is really useless doc.  Please do something to document
`process-file' properly.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-20 on LEG570
Bzr revision: 118168 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'