Subject: bug#20733: coreutils build problem

From: Michael Felt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 10:35:34 +0200

I had only applied the last patch, not both - so I shall backup to the
coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a.tar.xz
and apply only the second patch. This is what I thought had been done - but
at least then I will not be working from one where configure has already
been run.

michael@x071:[/data/prj/gnu/coreutils]xz -dc
coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a.tar.xz | tar xf -
michael@x071:[/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a]cat
../avoid* | patch -p1
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file configure.ac

Same as yesterday - so looks like only one hunk had been applied.

*** time passing ***

Oh yes, forgot something... - would be 'nice' if this test happened in the
beginning...

configure: error: you should not run configure as root (set
FORCE_UNSAFE_CONFIGURE=1 in environment to bypass this check)
See `config.log' for more details

*** NEW SUMMARY  - short story: there is a perl and a buffer dependency
that make AIX 5.3 TL7 a poor autoconf/automake platform ***

michael@x071:[/data/prj/gnu/coreutils]xz -dc
coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a.tar.xz | tar xf -
michael@x071:[/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a]cat
../avoid* | patch -p1
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file configure.ac

# modified 'missing'
# Run the given program, remember its exit status.
/bin/sh -x "$@"; st=$?

Did not say much new, so adding -x to start of aclocal...

Ah - aclocal is perl - maybe they need something different from perl (I
have reinstalled this system without my own perl update!)

So I updated perl to perl-5.10.1 and now I get, sadly,
....
truncated
C_MESSAGES:$f::$n' --trace='AM_XGETTEXT_OPTION:$f::$n'
--trace='gl_LANGINFO_H:$f::$n' --trace='gl_PREREQ_FTELLO:$f::$n'
--trace='gl_ASSERT_NO_GNULIB_POSIXCHECK:$f::$n'
--trace='gl_HEADER_ARPA_INET:$f::$n' --trace='gl_ISNANF_WORKS:$f::$n'
--trace='gl_FUNC_STRTOUMAX:$f::$n' --trace='gl_HUMAN:$f::$n'
--trace='gl_FILE_SYSTEM_USAGE:$f::$n' --trace='gl_PRINTF_INFINITE:$f::$n'
--trace='gl_ABSOLUTE_HEADER_ONE:$f::$n'
--trace='gl_PREREQ_INET_NTOP:$f::$n' --trace='gl_STDARG_H:$f::$n'
configure.ac |: Arg list too long

Short message: aclocal does not check perl version when it seems it needs a
new version.

At least perl-5.8.2 does not work, while perl-5.10.1 ends in arg to long -
on AIX 5.3

So, I switched to a different server - with AIX 6.1, and a self-packaged
perl (5.14.1) - the aclocal completes.
So, as far as aclocal is concerned I will call it an AIX 5.3 bug - cannot
be fixed, that is holding up the aclocal, etc..

After running make clean, I restarted the make on the AIX 5.3 system.

Looking much better - and now I am 'stuck' because I do not understand what
is different about this man page, that it fails.

  GEN      man/tee.1
  GEN      man/test.1
help2man: can't get `--help' info from man/test.td/[
Try `--no-discard-stderr' if option outputs to stderr
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 127.

Stop.
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Stop.
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.

Stop.

Making all in po
Target "all" is up to date.
Making all in .
        name=`echo man/test.1 | sed 's|.*/||; s|\.1$||'` || exit 1;
case $name in                                                   install)
prog='ginstall'; argv=$name;;                  test) prog='[';
argv='[';;                                      *) prog=$name;
argv=$prog;;
esac;                                                           rm -f
man/test.1 man/test.1-t
&& t=man/test.td                                                        &&
rm -rf $t                                                    &&
build-aux/install-sh -c -d
$t                                                && (cd $t && ln -s
'/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a/src/'$prog
$argv)                         && perl --
./man/help2man                                               --source='GNU
coreutils 8.23.211-b1d1a'
--include=./man/$name.x
--output=$t/$name.1
--info-page='\(aq(coreutils) '$name' invocation\(aq'
$t/$argv                          && sed  -e 's|man/test\.td/||g'  -e '/For
complete documentation/d'  $t/$name.1 > man/test.1-t                  && rm
-rf $t                                                    && chmod a-w
man/test.1-t                                               && mv
man/test.1-t man/test.1
help2man: can't get `--help' info from man/test.td/[
Try `--no-discard-stderr' if option outputs to stderr
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 127.

Stop.
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Simple solution, rather hack - what ./configure option stops the man pages
from being generated? Now I am back at the same problem I had with 8.21 -
when I revisited packaging it.

I know I do not have 'gettext, or makeinfo installed' - maybe that is
enough.

FYI: I am going through these builds on an extremely 'barebones' install of
AIX - just the base install, no openssl or other stuff - to really find
dependancies.
AND!! I would like to thank you now for your assistence and patience as I
go through this process - 'coreutils' is the first I am repackaging as I
research what needs to be done to be TLS1.2 safe.

p.s. On the 'tool' loaded system, the make finishes...

make[2]: Entering directory
`/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a'
(CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh
/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a/build-aux/missing
autoheader)
+ eval case $# in 0) exec /usr/bin/perl -S "$0";; *) exec /usr/bin/perl -S
"$0" "$@";; esac
+ exec /usr/bin/perl -S autoheader
rm -f lib/stamp-h1
touch lib/config.hin
cd . && /bin/sh ./config.status lib/config.h
config.status: creating lib/config.h
config.status: lib/config.h is unchanged
  CC       src/lbracket.o
  CCLD     src/[
  GEN      man/test.1
  GEN      man/timeout.1
  GEN      man/touch.1
  GEN      man/tr.1
  GEN      man/true.1
  GEN      man/truncate.1
  GEN      man/tsort.1
  GEN      man/tty.1
  GEN      man/uname.1
  GEN      man/unexpand.1
  GEN      man/uniq.1
  GEN      man/unlink.1
  GEN      man/vdir.1
  GEN      man/wc.1
  GEN      man/whoami.1
  GEN      man/yes.1
  GEN      lib/charset.alias
  GEN      lib/ref-add.sed
  GEN      lib/ref-del.sed
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a'
Making all in gnulib-tests
make[2]: Entering directory
`/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a/gnulib-tests'
  GEN      arg-nonnull.h
  GEN      c++defs.h
  GEN      unused-parameter.h
  GEN      warn-on-use.h
make  all-recursive
make[3]: Entering directory
`/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a/gnulib-tests'
Making all in .
make[4]: Entering directory
`/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a/gnulib-tests'
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a/gnulib-tests'
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a/gnulib-tests'
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a/gnulib-tests'
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a'
root@x064:[/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a]

So, the good news is, the patch works - and the last bit works too. Just
have to figure out what is different between the systems.

If you have ideas - please reply.

And again, my heartfelt thanks!

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Pádraig Brady <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 06/06/15 03:54, Michael Felt wrote:
> > I assume the error is mine, but I do not understand what.
> >
> > After automake and autoconf (just to be sure) make wants to call
> "missing", but that does not succeed.
> >
> >
> > CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh
> /data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a/build-aux/missing
> aclocal-1.15 -I m4
> > aclocal-1.15: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
> > make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
> > root@x064:[/data/prj/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-8.23.211-b1d1a]1d1a/build-aux/missing
> aclocal-1.15 -I m4           <
> > aclocal-1.15: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
>
> That suggests a problem with configure.ac though I don't see what,
> nor do reproduce the issue here.  Were both hunks of the second patch
> applied?
> Note both patches I supplied are against the original configure.ac from
> the tarball.
> I.E. please use the orig configure.ac from the tarball and apply only the
> second patch.
>
> thanks,
> Pádraig.
>