Subject: bug#20728: 25.0.50; grep and grep-find templates should have a place holder for the --color argument

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 18:01:50 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 11:58:18 +0300
> 
> On 06/04/2015 05:43 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > I don't understand what you perceive as a problem with the current
> > code, and why.
> 
> The fact that we have to do a replace-regexp-in-string in 
> xref-collect-matches, as well as in semantic-symref-grep-use-template.
> 
> Whereas we should be able to simply bind grep-highlight-matches to nil 
> before calling grep-expand-template.

Why not allow users of grep.el bind grep-highlight-matches to
whatever, including nil, and make grep.el obey that?  Using a template
for such a simple job sounds like over-engineering to me.  I can
understand why the template is used in find-grep and related commands:
the 'find' or 'xargs' command line is somewhat tricky.  But there's no
such problem with 'grep', so I'm unsure why we want to use a template
there, let alone have a placeholder for that switch in the template.