Subject: bug#20728: closed (Re: bug#20728: 25.0.50; grep and grep-find templates should have a place holder for the --color argument)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 21:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#20728: 25.0.50; grep and grep-find templates should have a place holder for the --color argument

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20728: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20728
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20728: 25.0.50; grep and grep-find templates should have a place holder for the --color argument
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 00:11:34 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.1

On 06/12/2015 02:20 AM, Juri Linkov wrote:

> Yes, it's out of the question that we should keep the original letters.

I've just pushed a commit that reuses <C> for both -i and --color 
(<C>ase and <C>olor, we can still pretend it's mnemonical), simply 
because there are templates out there with <C> in them, which do not 
include "--color".

If anyone really wants to change it to <O>, be my guest.

> I wonder how many third-party code uses the templates with <N>
> that it needs to be documented.

I haven't found any. OTOH, it doesn't hurt anyone either. Maybe the 
right change would be to make the code use it, actually. Are there use 
cases for changing the value of null-decide dynamically?

And speaking of needs, what is the use case for "--color" without 
"always"? Instead of special-casing Windows and DOS, why don't we always 
use `always' for coloring?

Subject: 25.0.50; grep and grep-find templates should have a place holder for the --color argument
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 02:42:58 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

And fill it in dynamically during expansion.

This way, the caller can set grep-highlight-matches dynamically, without
recomputing grep defaults (which is expensive). This is particularly
relevant on MS-Windows, in semantic-symref-grep-use-template and
xref-collect-matches.