Subject: bug#20727: 24.5; Font fallback doesn't work for the Emoji range

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 20:04:58 +0300

> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 19:32:45 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> How about the following compromise: we exclude the ranges for the most
> popular symbols and punctuation, which are reasonably well covered by
> many fonts, from the characters for which we specify Symbola?  This
> would include the quotes you've shown and a few other similar
> characters.

Actually, an even better solution might be this: we explicitly specify
fixed-medium font with iso10646-1 registry for these popular
characters _before_ Symbola.  This is justified, I think, since the
standard-fontset-spec on X specifies a fixed-medium font, so fit is
iso10646-1 variant supports these commonly-used punctuation
characters, it is a better candidate than Symbola, while the latter
will still be used as fallback.

WDYT?  Could you try this on your system and see if it work?