Subject: Re: 24.5; Font fallback doesn't work for the Emoji range

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:39:17 +0300

> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 13:57:26 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, 
>  Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]>,
>  Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
> 
> In the meantime, in master commit
> 203e84c6cf9b8356e376cc748b5ed331df96dc9e I worked around my problem
> by skipping the change if Symbola is not installed.

I had to revert that commit, sorry.  I do have Symbola installed, and
yet that change caused the default-fontset not to include the
customization for symbols and punctuation.  I guess the machinery for
looking up fonts is not yet fully set up when setup-default-fontset is
called during initialization, and find-font always fails.

So if the problem you bumped into is indeed a serious one, and telling
users to install Symbola or customize their fontsets is not good
enough, we will have to look for another solution for this issue.

I'll try to figure out how come a non-existing font in the default
fontset suddenly changes which fallback font is selected, that's
something I didn't expect to happen.