Subject: bug#20721: 25.0.50; Review default settings of Info-quoted face (Requires > texinfo-5 ???)

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 09:44:40 -0400

> Emacs picks up `adobe-courier-medium' (an x font) for the courier
> family.

Right, that's why it's not anti-aliased.

> Surprisingly, this font doesn't turn up in the GTK menu and
> it confused me.

The Gtk font dialog doesn't know abut Emacs's own font handling.
It offers a similar set of fonts, but not quite the same, indeed.
I don't think we can realistically fix this, sadly.

> (Do you think above the file will be useful to a larger audience?)

It sounds at least like a good candidate for GNU ELPA.

>     2. (font-family-list) returns "nil".

% xlsfonts|grep nil
-misc-nil-medium-r-normal--0-0-75-75-c-0-misc-fontspecific
-misc-nil-medium-r-normal--2-20-75-75-c-10-misc-fontspecific
%

>     3. (font-family-list) returns duplicate family names.

I think this is because duplicates are not removed between different
font backends.  I can't see any reason why that can't be fixed easily.

>     4. (delete-dups (font-family-list)) STILL has duplicate entries.

That sounds very odd.

> See the attached screenshot.

That doesn't show the result of delete-dups itself, so it's hard to
judge what this really means.

        Stefan