Subject: bug#20721: 25.0.50; Review default settings of Info-quoted face (Requires > texinfo-5 ???)

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 12:21:46 -0400

> 1. Recommend that newer Emacs be compiled with texinfo-5.  (Please

IIUC many people prefer the other option.  Like all bikeshedding
subjects, this is a very hot topic, so I think we're better off keeping
away from this and let people use whatever they prefer.

But, AFAIK, it takes special efforts to keep using Texinfo-4.  And for
example, the manuals of `emacs24' in Debian have been generated with
Texinfo-5, so I think it's already the case that Texinfo-5 is what is
used by default.

> 2. Change the default value of Info-quoted in following ways:
>    a) __inherit__ from a face like `font-lock-function-name-face'.
>    b) Reconsider the use of courier family.  When there is surfeit of
>    courier faces, I find that the Info buffer visually disconcerting.
>    I __guess__ that the courier face used is Courier 10 Pitch.  See output
>    of 'fc-list :family' at the end of the mail.

As explained earlier, the use of "courier" is intended to match the
`verbatim' environment style of LaTeX with a "teletype-style" font.

>    Screenshot: http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/info-mode-font-lock-keywordswithcourierface.php

[ BTW: it's even better to include such images directly in your email.  ]
It looks OK to me, except for the fact that it seems to be using
a courier font that is not anti-aliased (i.e. it's probably a bitmap font).
Do you have another monospaced font with serifs on your system that you
could recommend instead?

>    I want the Info buffer to be colorized, so that I have enough visual
>    clues to skim it quickly. (2a) will ensure colorization.

I find such coloring jarring, but it's probably just me.  So if you can
find a coloring that is agreeable to other people, I can live with it.

> 3. Info-quoted should be lower-cased, I think

Thanks.
Indeed, not sure what I used a capital in the first place.

        Stefan