Subject: bug#20714: tap-driver.sh outputs incorrect .trs tag

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 14:33:22 -0600

On 06/02/2015 02:05 PM, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
>>
>> On 06/02/2015 11:59 AM, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
>>
>> I haven't yet seen any pdf, so it's hard for me to state what you are
>> referring to.
>  
>  
>     Both .pdf and .odt files are included in this post.

Uggh.  That resulted in your mail being 235k, times the bandwidth
required to send it to every subscriber of the list, which both taxes
the servers and makes downstream recipients behind rate-limited
connections (whether by slow speed or by pricey data plans) suffer.  As
a result, many GNU lists intentionally put a cap on email beyond 100k,
at which point a moderator has to manually let the mail through.  If you
cannot trim your content to smaller data, then it is often better to
merely post a URL to large files and let only the interested people
chase down that URL than to spam the list with the binary file.  And
since the .pdf is merely a derived file taking up the bulk of the size,
limiting your mail to just the 33k .odt would have been sufficient.  But
really, binary format data is SOOOO much of a bandwidth hog compared to
pasting plain text representations, particularly since the plain text
can be read inline instead of having to fire up a separate program.

>  
>> In particular, while .odt is a portable format, it is still a
>> binary format 
>  
>     I found out yesterday that .odt files are zipped files - not binary.

Just because it happens to be unzippable into a tree of ascii files does
not change the fact that .odt itself is a binary layout.  As soon as you
unzip it, it is no longer .odt, and also no longer a single file.  I
stand by my assertion that .odt is binary - you cannot do 'grep FOO
*.odt' to find all instances of FOO in the file (and while you CAN
download other utilities that transparently pull out the text from the
.odt in order to make grepping possible, it adds that much more bloat as
a prerequisite on a development machine, and the conversion to text is
lossy in that it loses your desired formatting).

Sadly, this is what I see when opening the .odt:

>  15.4.3.2.4  Test Anything Protocol (TAP) Test Driver
> The Test Anything Protocol (TAP) is a Error: Reference source not found. The protocol TAP Standard is defined at  http://testanything.org/ as modified by Automake. The TAP Test Driver is called a TAP Harness in the TAP Standard. YAML Standard (http://www.yaml.org/spec/1.2/spec.html)
> TAP requires an interfacing test class program to output ASCII lines as defined by the TAP Protocol. The TAP test driver analyses these lines and outputs a log file and Test Results File compatible with the Error: Reference source not found.

The broken links in the very first paragraph aren't helping the cause.

As a high level overview, I see that you have added several tables, but
no graphics, into this particular section.  Without actually spending
time reading it, I see nothing too particularly difficult to translate
back into .texinfo format, except maybe the "∑test lines" usage of a
sigma, but I suspect even that can be done.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org