Subject: RE: bug#20714: tap-driver.sh outputs incorrect .trs tag

From: "Arthur Schwarz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 09:24:19 -0700

A coupla' issues. I don't know Texinfo. I have included an extensive
revision of the TAP testing cycle as a pdf file, downloaded from an Open
Office Document. And, the only reason that I started rewriting the test
section was that I couldn't understand what was written and thought that if
I had to spend time understanding the Automake Manual I might as well do it
productively. I have finished a rough draft of everything in the test
section up to Dejagnu, and a description of the Parallel Test Harness
requirements for test cases and, of course, completing the introduction to
the TAP section I sent you. 

At this point the question is whether you would like to contribute to my
effort. Are you willing to proof my document and offer a critique and
suggestions? It would cut down on my time if I had a clear understanding of
Dejagnu, but lacking support, I will 'read the manual' and then test the
product.

As stated in [email-masked], the document is GPL's and the FSF owns
the copyright.

Oh, the point of the bug is that the operational software outputs an
incorrect .trf metadata tag. As to "what I plan to do to benefit humanity
and the Automake community", I will be rewriting the tap-driver.sh program
to conform to the TAP requirements in the TAP Standard. Although you have
dismissively answered my question on gawk by pointing out it is a POSIX
standard and that, by inference, I should read the manual, I believe that I
can persevere with this judicious comment in hand. I think I would have just
answered the question and then pointed out the source, but then, that's me. 

art

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Bowler [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 7:47 AM
To: Arthur Schwarz
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: bug#20714: tap-driver.sh outputs incorrect .trs tag

On 2015-06-01 14:17 -0700, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
> The .trs tag :global-test-result: should be :test-global-result:.
> 
> 15.3.3.2 Log files generation and test results recording
> :test-global-result:
[...]
> ======= .trf =======
> :global-test-result: FAIL

   Indeed, this is an error in the manual and it should be changed to
   match Automake's actual behaviour.  Care to send a patch to that effect?

I forget, are you saying that the output of the tap-driver.sh program is
correct and the manual is wrong or are you saying that the tap-driver.sh
program is incorrect and the manual is right? I don't have time right now to
check to see what non-TAP programs output in their .trf files.

art

Thanks,
-- 
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)