Subject: RE: bug#20707: [PROPOSED PATCH] Use curved quoting in C-generated errors

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 06:25:32 -0700 (PDT)

> But I come back to the point.  Why start using these curly
> characters at all?  I put it to you you're fixing what
> isn't broken.
>
> One of Emacs's strong points has always been its working
> in pretty much any environment.  You're going to slightly
> improve what these things look like in some display
> environments at the cost of slight inconvenience all
> round. What we currently have works, works well, and has
> done for decades.

+1.  So that makes two of us.  (Whoopee.)

Unfortunately, our dear leader has opted to follow down this
rabbit hole, under the delusory banner of "Modernization".

Perhaps in a decade or two someone will have the brilliant
eureka of introducing an easy-to-type, unambiguous convention
for distinguishing code from ordinary text, including from
quotations.  For example, enclosing it in `...'.