Subject: bug#20697: 25.0.50; Mention `M-x report-emacs-bug' on splash screen

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 23:02:50 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >       "\tHow to contribute improvements to Emacs\n"
> > +     :link ("Report Bugs" ,(lambda (_button) (view-emacs-howto-report-bugs)))
> > +     "\tHow to report bugs in Emacs\n"
> >       "\n"
>
> So this basically adds another line and links directly to the Bugs info
> page.  Hm.  Would it be possible to instead just change the line
>
> Contributing    How to contribute improvements to Emacs
>
> to something like the following?  That link already links to the bug
> reporting page...
>
> Contributing    How to report bugs and contribute improvements

I had missed that, but you're absolutely correct and I agree that its
a better solution.

There was also a suggestion by Drew in the original post to mention
the Help menu as well.  Is that something we want to do?  But then,
wouldn't we also want to suggest C-h C-h, C-h C-i, etc.?  Maybe a
better alternative would be to add the Emacs Manual at the bottom,
after the link to the guided tour?  (And, but maybe that's just me, to
move all the help topics ("Emacs Tutorial", "Emacs Guided Tour") to
the top?)

Thanks,
Stefan Kangas