Subject: bug#20691: 24.5; `eval-expression' doesn't conform to its docstring

From: Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 11:36:19 +0200

Evaluating numbers and characters with M-: prints their value and
additionally to that the octal, hexadecimal and character representation
of the number if it's printable.  I've checked its docstring and was
surprised to read that the aforementioned behaviour should only happen
when using a prefix argument of zero.  This either means that the
docstring should be updated to make clear that this behaviour also
happens when using without any kind of prefix argument or the function
should be changed to not display this information when used without any
prefix argument.

The same question applies to other functions making use of the internal
`eval-expression-print-format' function that is responsible for
returning the alternate representation of the number, such as
`eval-defun-2' and `eval-last-sexp-print-value' in lisp-mode.el and a
few more.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.2)
 of 2015-04-20 on bitzer.hoetzel.info
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11701000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 70969 6814)
 (symbols 48 17559 0)
 (miscs 40 35 138)
 (strings 32 9041 4444)
 (string-bytes 1 248306)
 (vectors 16 8908)
 (vector-slots 8 383094 18351)
 (floats 8 63 183)
 (intervals 56 177 0)
 (buffers 960 11)
 (heap 1024 35456 945))