Subject: bug#20681: Build failure [MSYS2/MINGW64, OSX]

From: Andreas Grünbacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 20:41:02 +0200

2015-06-01 19:39 GMT+02:00 Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:
> ??? If it were true, set-permissions.c would compile on Windows.  It
> doesn't.

I've already explained, at length, why it currently doesn't compile, and
at least three ways of how it could be fixed.

> So there's more to this job than just copying the code.

Yes, adding some #ifdefs and autoconf checks, that kind of thing.
That's not so hard.

>> > There's also the minor (but important for Emacs) point of supporting
>> > file names with characters outside of the current system codepage,
>> > which Gnulib can only provide in UTF-8 locales, something that doesn't
>> > exist on Windows.
>>
>> This has nothing to do with get_permissions and set_permissions.
>
> It's a reason not to use Gnulib for any file-related operations in
> Emacs on Windows, because Emacs on Windows uses Unicode APIs to access
> files by their names.

So it's okay to have this function in emacs:

  src/w32.c:acl_get_file (const char *fname, acl_type_t type)

but the same interface in gnulib wouldn't be okay? Right ...

I'll stop this discussion now, you're just not making sense.

Andreas