Subject: bug#20675: 24.3; emacsclient cannot talk to emacs

From: Bruce Korb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 10:31:22 -0700

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 4:46 PM Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > The problem is that I need to redirect TMPDIR to different places for
> > different tasks.  So that explainer above might get expanded to include
> > mention of the fact that this directory:  ${TMPDIR}/emacs$(id -u)
> > is used for communication.  I'd have found the problem long ago.
> >
> > So please consider this an RFE to the above "can't find socket" message.
>
> Are you saying that you are trying to use emacsclient with a different
> $TMPDIR than the one you used for the emacs server?

What I am attempting to do is to have multiple (two) cscope-s running
each talking to a different server. The real issue being that I needed
emacs windows tied to a specific invocation of cscope. It seemed the
best way to do that was to have multiple servers running since "last
active emacs window" is inadequate. Anyway, for me, I retired 6 months
after posting this and doubt I'll ever want to run multiple cscopes in
parallel ever again. :)