Subject: What prevents me from getting a preview?

From: Markus Pötzlberger<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 16:32:04 +0200

Hi!

I'm a Windows 8.1 user. I unzipped emacs, used the emacs package installer
to install AUCTex,

opened a .tex file, can compile it and have a Preview and LaTex menu.

gswin64c is in the path. unzipped some png .dll files into the emacs folder.

LaTex works fine, but the conversion to pictures fails somehow...

I had to change the "preview-gs-command" from "nil" to the current

setting "gswin64c.exe"

Is it necessary to use "gswin32" instead of "gswin64"?

Any mistakes in my settings?

The basic example is:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{amsmath}

\begin{document}

Hello World!

This is $\mu$

\end{document}

Thank you for your help!

With kind regards,

Markus P.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)

of 2014-10-24 on LEG570

Package: 11.88.6

Run buffer contents:

Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `test' with ``pdflatex -interaction=nonstopmode
"&"prv_test"" "test.tex"''

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (MiKTeX 2.9)

entering extended mode

(d:\test.tex

LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>

Babel <v3.8m> and hyphenation patterns for english, afrikaans, ancientgreek,
ar

abic, armenian, assamese, basque, bengali, bokmal, bulgarian, catalan,
coptic, 

croatian, czech, danish, dutch, esperanto, estonian, farsi, finnish, french,
ga

lician, german, german-x-2013-05-26, greek, gujarati, hindi, hungarian,
iceland

ic, indonesian, interlingua, irish, italian, kannada, kurmanji, latin,
latvian,

lithuanian, malayalam, marathi, mongolian, mongolianlmc, monogreek, ngerman,
n

german-x-2013-05-26, nynorsk, oriya, panjabi, pinyin, polish, portuguese,
roman

ian, russian, sanskrit, serbian, slovak, slovenian, spanish, swedish,
swissgerm

an, tamil, telugu, turkish, turkmen, ukenglish, ukrainian, uppersorbian,
usengl

ishmax, welsh, loaded.

CUSTOMISED FORMAT. Preloaded files:

        .

article.cls    2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class

  size10.clo    2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX file (size option)

amsmath.sty    2013/01/14 v2.14 AMS math features

amstext.sty    2000/06/29 v2.01

  amsgen.sty    1999/11/30 v2.0

  amsbsy.sty    1999/11/29 v1.2d

  amsopn.sty    1999/12/14 v2.01 operator names

        .

(d:\test.aux) ("C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX
2.9\tex\latex\preview\preview.sty

" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\preview\prtightpage.def")

("C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\preview\prauctex.def"

No auxiliary output files.

("c:/Users/Markus
P/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.88.6/latex\prauctex

.cfg")) ("C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX
2.9\tex\latex\preview\prfootnotes.def")

Preview: Fontsize 10pt

Preview: PDFoutput 1

)

! Preview: Snippet 1 started.

<-><->

l.7 This is $

             \mu$

Preview: Tightpage -32891 -32891 32891 32891

! Preview: Snippet 1 ended.(282168+127431x394886).

<-><->

l.7 This is $\mu$

[1{C:/Users/Markus P/AppData/Local/MiKTeX/2.9/pdftex/config/pdftex.map}] )

(see the transcript file for additional information)<C:/Program Files
(x86)/MiK

TeX 2.9/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmmi10.pfb>

Output written on test.pdf (1 page, 8531 bytes).

Transcript written on test.log.

TeX Output exited as expected with code 1 at Tue May 26 16:12:31

LaTeX: LaTeX found no preview images

current state:

==============

(setq

AUCTeX-version "11.88.6"

LaTeX-command-style '((""

                                            "%(PDF)%(latex)
%(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)")

                                     )

image-types '(svg png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm)

preview-image-type 'png

preview-image-creators '((dvipng

                                               (open preview-gs-open
preview-dvipng-process-setup)

                                               (place preview-gs-place)

                                               (close preview-dvipng-close))

                                              (png (open preview-gs-open)
(place preview-gs-place)

                                               (close preview-gs-close))

                                              (jpeg (open preview-gs-open)

                                               (place preview-gs-place)
(close preview-gs-close))

                                              (pnm (open preview-gs-open)
(place preview-gs-place)

                                               (close preview-gs-close))

                                              (tiff (open preview-gs-open)

                                               (place preview-gs-place)
(close preview-gs-close))

                                              )

preview-dvipng-image-type 'png

preview-dvipng-command "dvipng -picky -noghostscript %d -o
\"%m/prev%%03d.png\""

preview-pdf2dsc-command "pdf2dsc %s.pdf %m/preview.dsc"

preview-gs-command "gswin64c.exe"

preview-gs-options '("-q" "-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS"

                                    "-dPrinted" "-dTextAlphaBits=4"
"-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4")

preview-gs-image-type-alist '((png png "-sDEVICE=png16m")

                                                   (dvipng png
"-sDEVICE=png16m")

                                                   (jpeg jpeg
"-sDEVICE=jpeg")

                                                   (pnm pbm
"-sDEVICE=pnmraw")

                                                   (tiff tiff
"-sDEVICE=tiff12nc"))

preview-fast-conversion t

preview-prefer-TeX-bb nil

preview-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -o %m/preview.000"

preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"

preview-scale-function 'preview-scale-from-face

preview-LaTeX-command '("%`%l
\"\\nonstopmode\\nofiles\\PassOptionsToPackage{"

                                            ("," .
preview-required-option-list)

"}{preview}\\AtBeginDocument{\\ifx\\ifPreview\\undefined"
preview-default-preamble "\\fi}\"%' %t")

preview-required-option-list '("active" "tightpage" "auctex"

(preview-preserve-counters "counters"))

preview-preserve-counters nil

preview-default-option-list '("displaymath" "floats" "graphics" "textmath"

                                                   "sections" "footnotes")

preview-default-preamble '("\\RequirePackage["

                                                ("," .
preview-default-option-list)

                                                "]{preview}[2004/11/05]")

preview-LaTeX-command-replacements nil

preview-dump-replacements '(preview-LaTeX-command-replacements

                                                 ("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(\\(
+-\\([^ \\\\\"]\\|\\\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)*\\)\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -ini
-interaction=nonstopmode \"&\\1\" " preview-format-name ".ini \\5")

                                                 )

preview-undump-replacements '(("\\`\\([^ ]+\\) .*? \"\\\\input\"
\\(.*\\)\\'"

                                                           "\\1
-interaction=nonstopmode \"&"

preview-format-name "\" \\2")

                                                   )

preview-auto-cache-preamble 'ask

preview-TeX-style-dir "c:/Users/Markus
P/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.88.6/latex"

)

Output from running `gswin64c.exe -h':

GPL Ghostscript 9.16 (2015-03-30)

Copyright (C) 2015 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.

Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]

Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)

-dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer messages

-g<width>x<height>  page size in pixels   | -r<res>  pixels/inch resolution

-sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit after last file

-sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for pipe,

                                         embed %d or %ld for page #

Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 PostScriptLevel3
PDF

Default output device: display

Available devices:

   bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bj10e bj200 bjc600 bjc800 bmp16 bmp16m bmp256

   bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono bmpsep1 bmpsep8 cdeskjet cdj550 cdjcolor cdjmono

   cp50 declj250 deskjet devicen display djet500 djet500c eps2write eps9high

   eps9mid epson epsonc fpng ibmpro ijs ink_cov inkcov jetp3852 jpeg

   jpegcmyk jpeggray laserjet lbp8 lj250 ljet2p ljet3 ljet3d ljet4 ljet4d

   ljetplus m8510 mswindll mswinpr2 necp6 nullpage pam pamcmyk32 pamcmyk4

   pbm pbmraw pcx16 pcx24b pcx256 pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono pdfwrite pgm

   pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw pj pjxl pjxl300 pkmraw plan planc plang plank planm

   plib plibc plibg plibk plibm png16 png16m png256 pngalpha pnggray pngmono

   pngmonod pnm pnmcmyk pnmraw ppm ppmraw ps2write psdcmyk psdcmykog psdrgb

   pxlcolor pxlmono r4081 spotcmyk st800 stcolor t4693d2 t4693d4 t4693d8

   tek4696 tiff12nc tiff24nc tiff32nc tiff48nc tiff64nc tiffcrle tiffg3

   tiffg32d tiffg4 tiffgray tifflzw tiffpack tiffscaled tiffscaled24

   tiffscaled32 tiffscaled4 tiffscaled8 tiffsep tiffsep1 txtwrite uniprint

   xpswrite

Search path:

   C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.16\bin ; C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.16\lib ;

   C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.16\fonts ; %rom%Resource/Init/ ; %rom%lib/ ;

   c:/gs/gs9.16/Resource/Init ; c:/gs/gs9.16/lib ;

   c:/gs/gs9.16/Resource/Font ; c:/gs/fonts

Initialization files are compiled into the executable.

For more information, see c:/gs/gs9.16/doc/Use.htm.

Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.