Subject: Re: bug#20661: What prevents me from getting a preview?

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 23:31:09 +0200

Reinhard Kotucha <[email-masked]> writes:

first of all Reinhard, a big thank you for providing and maintaining
this bundle.

> Instead of assembling emacs, auctex, and a bunch of libraries
> yourself, you could also try
>
>   http://ctan.org/tex-archive/support/win32-emacs-auctex
>
> This is hopefully easier to install, especially since it already
> contains all the necessary libraries (.DLLs).  I strongly encourage
> Windows users to give it a try.  I need more feedback in order to
> maintain it properly.  ATM I have the impression that only very few
> people are aware of this distribution.

IIRC correctly this bundle was assembled together some years ago by the
AUCTeX team.  It was a good idea then, but in the meanwhile, do you
think it is still worth the effort?  The latest official Emacs binaries
for Win are available from:

    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

Required libs (not only for image support) and other bins (e.g.,
hunspell) are available from here:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/

A 64-bit version with all required dll's is available here:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/emacsbinw64/

Latest AUCTeX is available via ELPA.

I think that most users would go a route mentioned above and leave your
package alone since they have to grab other libs from other sources
anyways (and they also get the latest version).

Again, please don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your work on this.  I
am just asking if users honor this enough.

Best, Arash