Subject: Re: bug#20659: auto-save-visited-file-name: leaks interlock files and abandons unsaved buffers

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 22:45:10 +0100

Nicolas Calderon <[email-masked]> writes:

> When auto-save-visited-file-name is set, emacs auto-saves directly to
> file rather than a different file (#<filename>#). Unfortunately,
> auto-saving does not get rid of the interlock file (symlink from
> .#<filename> -> <user>@<host>.<pid>:<uid>). Since the buffer is saved
> and not modified (buffer-modified-p is false, as evidenced by the
> modline), emacs can be exited without the "Save file?" prompt. Leaving
> emacs at this point, without making a proper save (save-buffer),
> leaves the interlock files behind modifications directly to the file
> rather than auto-saving.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

I'm not able to reproduce this bug in Emacs 28, and indeed this has all
been rewritten in 2017:

commit 4db844a4532592ed2542c05a1747dad7ed319e15
Author:     Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Sat Apr 22 20:58:38 2017 +0200

    Reimplement auto-saving to visited files
    
    This reacts to confusing behavior of 'auto-save-visited-file-name',
    cf. Bug#25478.

So I'm going to go ahead and guess that this has been fixed by now, and
I'm closing this bug report.  If there are still bugs in this area,
please respond to the debbugs address and we'll reopen.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no