Subject: 24.5; lexical-binding should work like a normal file-local variable

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 12:19:34 +0200

The manual
(https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Using-Lexical-Binding.html)
says about `lexical-binding':

   Note that unlike other such variables, this one must be set in the
   first line of a file.

I think the only reason for this is an implementation detail
(lexical-binding is parsed by other code than the other file-local
variables).  It would be great to make it consistent with other
variables so that the user doesn't need to care about the difference.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.1.0, NS apple-appkit-1344.72)
 of 2015-04-12 on p
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/info/emacs
 --with-file-notification=gfile --with-dbus --with-gnutls --with-rsvg
 --with-imagemagick --without-popmail --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(New file)
For this change to take effect revisit file using s-u
Saving file /tmp/foo.el...
Wrote /tmp/foo.el
C-x C-g is undefined
You can run the command `revert-buffer' with s-u

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils warnings help-fns files-x xterm time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79278 6322)
 (symbols 48 17661 0)
 (miscs 40 38 142)
 (strings 32 10374 4568)
 (string-bytes 1 270725)
 (vectors 16 7214)
 (vector-slots 8 341033 28254)
 (floats 8 62 328)
 (intervals 56 188 27)
 (buffers 960 14))