Subject: Re: bug#20638: BUG: standard & extended RE's don't find NUL's :-(

From: Linda Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 19:30:13 -0700

Paul Eggert wrote:
> In this particular case I'm afraid your memory has played tricks on you
---
    You may be right ..;-(

I found these:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/19491/how-to-specify-characters-using-hexadecimal-codes-in-grep
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6319878/using-grep-to-search-for-hex-strings-in-a-file

and two others which pointed to the '-P' option

as being the only way in newer grep's..

Needless to say, I am scandalized...
However, One could always ask that those be added so as to be compatible 
w/sed, awk....etc?

I.e. an RFE??

I'm pretty sure the grep didn't have backreferences in it before either.

You going to tell me those date back to Bell labs as well?

I.e.-- if you look at earlier info pages, there wasn't a separate regex
for grep section (that I could fine).... many of the regex-taking utils
pointed at each other for more clarification.

I thought it was from those that grep had the same notation.  Not exactly
a faulty memory, but improbable logic?