Subject: bug#20637: incompatible, undocumented change to vc-working-revision

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:26:33 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> And I still feel unhappy that none of the active Emacs maintainers feels
>> responsible for vc*.el.
>
> I do feel responsible, and I try to take care of most bug reports in
> that area.

I know that you do and I really appreciate this!

But since ESRs rewrite in fall 2014, there are still several
inconsistencies. Eric confirmed that in an email to me. So it's not only
bug hunting, a systematic review of the state is needed.

I've started to write systematic tests (up to my limited knowledge), and
I've asked several times in emacs-devel ML for support, but nearly no
response. That's why I'm kinda frustrated.

Well, forget my lamenting. I'm still willing to help to improve. But I
cannot do this alone, as in the past.

>> I'm trying to support fixing problems here, but
>> most of the code, and the VCSes being used, are still terra incognita for me.
>
> It would be great if the problems we're fixing were formulated like
> "VC behaves like this, and it causes that problem in practice (or
> could cause, at least)", rather than "here is a test case, and I feel
> it should pass". I think that would encourage more practical choices.

I agree that the tests shall be much more commented. But I see also the
lack of documentation and implicit design decisions (you spoke about
somewhere), which must be improved I believe.

Best regards, Michael.