Subject: bug#20637: incompatible, undocumented change to vc-working-revision

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 21:34:35 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Dmitry,

you have written several things I would like to move for later
discussion. I believe, we shall start again from the basics.

I have extended vc-test-*01-register tests by calls to vc-backend and
vc-responsible-backend. Mainly in order to understand how they work, but
also for covering these functions. One problem I've found is that
vc-file-*prop functions do not work well for relative file names; I've
fixed this. With this fix, vc-test-src02-state failed. I've masked the
test for future investigations; first I would like to make all
vc-test-*01-register tests run proper.

Several problems I have marked with FIXME in the working horse of those
tests, vc-test--register:

- For some backends (CVS, RCS and SVN), vc-backend returns the backend
  name for the newly created repo directory, and the directory is
  registered already. For the other backends, vc-backend returns nil as
  expected. Shouldn't this be consistent for all backends?

- vc-backend accepts also a list of files, vc-responsible-backend
  doesn't. Is this right?

- There is no common function vc-unregister, just some backend specific
  vc-<backend>-unregister. Shouldn't vc-unregister exist? It should call
  common code, like vc-file-clearprops. For the time being, I have
  emulated this.

Best regards, Michael.