Subject: bug#20634: closed (Re: bug#20634: 25.0.50; Conflict between Tramp and EasyPG)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 14:18:02 +0000

Your bug report

#20634: 25.0.50; Conflict between Tramp and EasyPG

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20634: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20634
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20634: 25.0.50; Conflict between Tramp and EasyPG
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 16:17:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.1

Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Jens,

> fixed :-)

Thanks for confirmation. I'm closing the ticket.

> Many thanks
> Jens

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 25.0.50; Conflict between Tramp and EasyPG
From: Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 17:23:38 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi there,

I use EasyPG for transparent access of encrypted files with
extension .gpg.  If I copy an encrypted file, say test.gpg, via ssh
(Tramp) to a remote location, then I’m asked what public key to use
for encryption (none for symmetric encryption), and the encrypted
file is encrypted again, rendering it useless from within Emacs.
(If I open the remote file via Tramp, the outer layer of encryption
is removed, and I see the original encrypted file.)

Recipe:

0. Encrypt a file: test.gpg

1. emacs -Q

2. Open directory of test.gpg (C-x C-f).

3. Copy (C) the file to a remote location
   (e.g., /user@localhost:/tmp).

   The key chooser opens.  Copy is cancelled if I cancel the choice.
   Otherwise, a remote file is created, which is not a copy but an
   encrypted file with two layers of encryption.

4. Open the remote file (C-x C-f /user@localhost:/tmp/test.gpg).
   Observe encrypted data.

In contrast, if I copy an encrypted file to a local directory, it is
copied without extra encryption.

Note also that if I copy a plaintext file (test.txt) locally to one
with gpg extension (test.gpg), it remains a plaintext file.  If I
copy that to a remote location, it gets encrypted.  This may be a
bug or a feature, but is certainly inconsistent behavior.

Best wishes
Jens