Subject: bug#20629: 25.0.50; Regression: TAGS broken, can't find anything in C++ files.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 02:50:23 +0300

On 05/27/2015 07:23 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Yes, but they look at different parts of the tag's record.

We check every tag against both functions, that's the point. 
tag-implicit-name-match-p is more flexible,

> No, we match them with tag-exact-match-p, AFAICS.

No. Unless there's an explicit tag name, this function will return nil. 
Check out the first comment in its implementation.

>> The result would be that the completion table only returns qualified
>> method names, but xref-find-definitions (or find-tag) also shows matches
>> for unqualified method names.
>
> That'd be great.

We'd get it at the cost of precision, though. In this case, foo:bar (a 
valid Elisp name) would become an implicit match for "bar".

Anyway, this thread of thought is probably not worth pursuing: we'd want 
to be compatible with 'ctags -e' (not least because it supports more 
languages), and there's no option to generate qualified C++ method names 
there.