Subject: Re: bug#20629: 25.0.50; Regression: TAGS broken, can't find anything in C++ files.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 02:56:02 +0300

On 05/26/2015 10:23 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I don't see how that could be possible: tag-implicit-name-match-p is
> language-agnostic.  You'd need to make it language-aware before it
> could do such stuff for languages that need it.

Well, by including ()=,; in that constant, it already makes certain 
assumptions that aren't necessarily true (for instance, `=' can be, and 
often is, a part of a method name in Ruby). Adding a colon would be 
another one of those.

Not that I necessarily advocate for it, mind you.

> It slips my mind for a moment, but there's some command whose
> completion shows <f> for functions, <v> for variables, etc.

elisp-completion-at-point can do that.

> And it's not the only one, I'm quite sure I saw longer text after each
> candidate, perhaps somewhere in 'company'?

That's possible. But either way, these are annotations for existing 
completions. What the suggested patch would do, though, is add new 
completions.

> What kind of junk?

Among patterns for tags with explicit names, there could be some odd 
ones. We never showed them before, I think, anywhere.

You should try the patch and see how it goes.