Subject: Re: bug#20628: 25.0.50; Incorrect line height for some fonts

From: Oleh Krehel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 22:08:34 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Oleh Krehel <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 18:54:17 +0200
>> 
>> I attach a patch that sets ascent/descent to 0 specifically for the
>> problematic font family "Latin Modern Math".
>
> That's hardly TRT.  Even if we'd want to "fix" some fonts, setting
> ascent/descent to zero can only be justified if someone would examine
> all of the characters of that font and verify that none of then needs
> a non-zero value of ascent/descent, or tell us which (smaller) values
> are actually needed.

Actually, I just found out that "Latin Modern Math" is inherently
completely broken. If I set it in gedit, even the ASCII chars have
ridiculous ascent/descent. So "Latin Modern Math" is basically unusable
unless a program specifically modifies ascent/descent, like I did.

The reason gedit was working fine previously is that it never used
"Latin Modern Math", it used some other font.

So it makes sense to "fix" a font that is common and inherently broken.