Subject: bug#20623: XML and HTML files with encoding/charset="utf-8" declaration loose BOM; Coding system is reset from utf-8-with-signature to utf-8 on save

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2018 03:34:25 +0200

On 2018-08-11 19:27:33 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but none of these issues describes the
> situation in this bug report, namely: an HTML file with an explicit
> charset= tag, with or without a BOM.  In fact, the first of these
> issues happens only in files that _do_ have a BOM, so you could say
> that Emacs did you a favor by removing it ;-)

In theory yes, but in practice, one does not want that when doing
file-loading tests. Otherwise the tests become meaningless. This
is just list a spellchecker that automatically corrects spelling
mistakes without the user knowledge (even when it is right), as
if the goal is to write something about a spelling mistake, the
text becomes meaningless. Or when some characters are changed
automatically to improve typography (as this can be seen by some
blog software when posting, with no previewing), as this can make
the text meaningless, e.g. when it is code.

> Anyway, the Emacs issue is now fixed.

OK, thanks.

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)