Subject: bug#20623: XML and HTML files with encoding/charset="utf-8" declaration loose BOM; Coding system is reset from utf-8-with-signature to utf-8 on save

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 20:11:49 -0400

>> > > In this case, I cannot but express my extreme surprise to see such a
>> > > minor issue described as "grave".  The alleged data loss is minor, if
>> > > it exists at all (the BOM is not data important for the user,
>> > You're completely wrong. The presence of BOM or not is very important
>> > for some applications, such as Firefox (not to determine the charset,
>> > but the MIME type of local files).
>> Please provide the details, including the use case, if possible.  I'm
>> still in the dark regarding the importance of the BOM in UTF-8 encoded
>> HTML stuff.
>   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1422889

I don't see any data loss there.

        Stefan

PS: We can all cook up contrived scenarios where this bug leads to a serious
loss of data.  But in that case a problem in C-n which makes it move to
the wrong column would also qualify as "grave" because I can just as
well construct a contrived scenarios where such a bug leads to a serious
loss of data.