Subject: Mouse highlighting not removed at end of mode-line

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 18:02:56 -0400

Package: Emacs
Version: 25.0.50

Do the following:

   src/emacs -Q --eval "(setcdr (memq 'mode-line-buffer-identification mode-line-format) nil)"

and then

   move mouse from left to right over the mode-line

When I try it, I see that as the mouse passes over "*scratch*" the
buffer name is highlighted as it should, but once the mouse gets to the
rest of the mode-line (which is empty) the highlighting lingers until
the mouse actually leaves the mode-line.

I originally noticed it in the up volume button of the mpc.el player
(which is similarly highlighted and placed at the end of the
header-line) but the above recipe is simpler.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2015-04-28 on pastel
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure -C --enable-checking --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-Wall -g3 -Og -Wno-pointer-sign'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/monnier/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: InactiveMinibuffer

Minor modes in effect:
  c-electric-flag: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document.
When done with a buffer, type C-x #
New window #<window 375 on ex5-1.pdf> for buf ex5-1.pdf
New window #<window 375 on ex3.pdf> for buf ex3.pdf
Marking diary entries...done
New window t for buf Calendrier-scolaire.pdf
Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document.
When done with a buffer, type C-x #
New window #<window 377 on Calendrier-scolaire.pdf> for buf Calendrier-scolaire.pdf
Appended 5 songs

Load-path shadows:
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-ref-man hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-ref-man/ada-ref-man
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-prj hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-prj
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-stmt hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-stmt
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-mode hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-mode
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-xref hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-xref
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/crisp/crisp hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/crisp

Features:
(mail-extr emacsbug quail skeleton vc-annotate subr-x thai-util
thai-word lao-util view disass haskell-indentation gud make-mode
haskell-doc inf-haskell haskell-cabal haskell-utils haskell-decl-scan
imenu haskell-font-lock haskell-indent haskell-mode haskell-string
haskell-sort-imports haskell-align-imports flymake ediff-merg ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff sgml-mode
reftex-dcr reftex reftex-vars tex-mode latexenc etags bbdb-com bbdb
timezone reposition semantic/bovine/c semantic/db-mode
semantic/decorate/include semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse
semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp semantic/idle semantic/bovine/gcc
semantic/dep semantic/bovine semantic/analyze/refs semantic/db-find
semantic/db-ref semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope
semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db eieio-base semantic/ctxt
semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw cedet
hideif cpp cmacexp cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-langs cc-vars cc-defs epa-file epa derived epg
dabbrev mode-local ffap rect autorevert filenotify log-edit message
sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils mailheader
log-view pcvs-util bug-reference add-log cal-french diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-move smerge-mode shell grep compile xref whitespace
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir xscheme unsafep trace
testcover shadow scheme re-builder inf-lisp gmm-utils ert ewoc elp
edebug cl-indent vc eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe profiler
ielm pp executable copyright ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-protocol org-mouse org-mobile org-agenda org-indent
org-feed org-crypt org-capture org-attach vc-git diff-mode org-id
cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit vc-dispatcher vc-bzr filecache
org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core
ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs debug misearch multi-isearch sort network-stream
nsm starttls tls mpc server noutline outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell
checkdoc thingatpt help-mode load-dir elec-pair url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio warnings eieio-core cl-generic byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra seq cconv gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars reveal autoinsert proof-site proof-autoloads
cl-macs cl gv pg-vars savehist minibuf-eldef disp-table edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib advice help-fns info easymenu finder-inf
package epg-config bbdb-autoloads agda2 vm-autoloads mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 1088122 266684)
 (symbols 24 138914 0) (miscs 20 21171 6748) (strings 16 246935 36502)
 (string-bytes 1 6537713)
 (vectors 8 99546) (vector-slots 4 3064121 360600) (floats 8 919 1197)
 (intervals 28 103647 7729)
 (buffers 520 138) (heap 1024 1188935 46678))