Subject: Re: bug#20614: Segmentation fault when building on Power8 Little Endian

From: Petr Hracek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 09:52:23 +0200

On 07/13/2015 03:16 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Petr Hracek <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Does emacs-24.3 support ppc64le?
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/binaries/openSUSE:13.2/emacs?repository=ports
> http://download.opensuse.org/ports/ppc/distribution/13.2/repo/oss/suse/ppc64le/emacs-x11-24.3-17.2.2.ppc64le.rpm
>
> Andreas.
>
I have find out that the error message
Loading /home/phracek/rpmbuild/BUILD/emacs-24.3/lisp/tooltip.el (source)...
Finding pointers to doc strings...
Finding pointers to doc strings...done
Dumping under the name emacs
emacs: Program segment above .bss in 
/home/phracek/rpmbuild/BUILD/emacs-24.3/build-gtk/src/temacs
make[2]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 1

comes from file src/unexelf.c line 860 (emacs-24.3)
What this function does?
I saw in openSUSE SRPM that option --with-wide-int is used.
In Fedora or RHEL we are not using it.

Options which are used for compiling are:
./configure --build=powerpc64le-redhat-linux-gnu 
--host=powerpc64le-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix= 
--disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr 
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc 
--datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64 
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib 
--mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif 
--with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm 
--with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-gpm=no 
build_alias=powerpc64le-redhat-linux-gnu 
host_alias=powerpc64le-redhat-linux-gnu CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g 
-pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions 
-fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 
-grecord-gcc-switches   -m64 -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power8 
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro  --no-create --no-recursion

-- 
Petr Hracek
Software Engineer
Developer Experience
Red Hat, Inc
Mob: +420777056169
email: [email-masked]