Subject: bug#20611: 24.4; mutt slow in ansi-term

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 13:08:13 +1200

On 18/06/16 01:27, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> In "ansi-term" mode or in some other mode?  I only fixed the former,
> and the code is definitely there in the current emacs-25 branch.
> Don't you see it in the function ansi-term?

Ah, I see. You're right, it works for M-x ansi-term. I hadn't realised
that the new code was added to that specific command.

That's going to be insufficient, as it's a more general problem with
term.el -- so M-x term is still affected, as will be anything else
generating a terminal via a similar wrapper.

(Personally I have a bunch of custom commands which invoke various
programs inside a terminal, and I never call `ansi-term' (because
neither it nor `term' facilitate passing a SWITCHES argument, and so
I call `make-term' myself).

Perhaps the bidi change should be part of term-mode ?

I'm not familiar with bidi concerns, so I don't know whether there's
a use case for retaining the default setting in any terminal scenario?

-Phil