Subject: mouse-highlight does not do as documented

From: Samuel Wales <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 11:09:33 -0700

mouse-highlight does not do as documented, which seems to be a bug.

i confirmed with emacs -Q.  i did not find a similar bug report.

===

"If the value is an integer, highlighting is only shown
after moving the mouse, while keyboard input turns off the
highlight even when the mouse is over the clickable text."

in my usage, highlighting shows when mouse has not moved.
it also shows when there is keyboard input.

i find highlighting highly distracting unless i am using the
mouse, yet i find it useful when i do use the mouse.  it is so
distracting that i have to turn it off unless this is fixed.

(inb4: i find that the following variables are not useful for
me in practice: mouse-avoidance-mode, track-mouse,
make-pointer-invisible.  there is no setting for mouse-avoidance-mode
that works for me.  banish does not work for me.  i do not want to fix
mouse-avoidance-mode.  i want to fix mouse-highlight.)

i use unclutter(1), which works perfectly for me to turn off the mouse,
but of course does not turn off the highlighting.  if mouse-highlight
could do as documented, it would be great.

thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2015-01-11 on maritornes, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 7.8 (wheezy)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix