Subject: 24.3; sieve-manage should support starttls

From: Reiner Steib <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 18:13:24 +0200

Hi,

AFAICS, sieve-manage.el doesn't support STARTTLS at all.  (The comment
in sieve-manage.el says it is not well tested - is it tried at all?)

;;; Commentary:

;; This library provides an elisp API for the managesieve network
;; protocol.
;;
;; It uses the SASL library for authentication, which means it
;; supports DIGEST-MD5, CRAM-MD5, SCRAM-MD5, NTLM, PLAIN and LOGIN
;; methods.  STARTTLS is not well tested, but should be easy to get to
;; work if someone wants.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

$ emacs -Q -l sieve

;; example from sieve-manage.el ...
(with-current-buffer (sieve-manage-open "imap.example.com" 4190)
  (sieve-manage-authenticate)
  (sieve-manage-listscripts))

;; Type C-x C-e ...

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Couldn't figure out authenticator for server")
  signal(error ("Couldn't figure out authenticator for server"))
  error("Couldn't figure out authenticator for server")
  sieve-manage-open("imap.example.com" 4190)
  (set-buffer (sieve-manage-open "imap.example.com" 4190))
  (save-current-buffer (set-buffer (sieve-manage-open
    "imap.example.com" 4190)) (sieve-manage-authenticate)
    (sieve-manage-listscripts)) 
  (with-current-buffer (sieve-manage-open "imap.example.com" 4190)
    (sieve-manage-authenticate) (sieve-manage-listscripts)) 
  eval((with-current-buffer (sieve-manage-open "imap.example.com" 4190)
    (sieve-manage-authenticate) (sieve-manage-listscripts)) nil) 
  eval-last-sexp-1(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  call-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil nil)

;; Buffer *sieve-manage-log*

"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.4.17"
"SASL" ""
"SIEVE" "comparator-i;ascii-numeric fileinto reject vacation imapflags notify include envelope body relational regex subaddress copy"
"STARTTLS"
"UNAUTHENTICATE"
OK

Bye
Reiner

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
 of 2014-03-07 on toyol, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu' '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro'
 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t