Subject: bug#2056: 23.0.60; Enabling flyspell degrades performance

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:34:33 +0900

Leo <[email-masked]> writes:
> I'd like to point out that with turn-on-flyspell added to
> text-mode-hook. M-x report-emacs-bug will take 9.8 seconds to set up the
> mail buffer in my fairly modern machine (intel core 2 duo with 4G ram).
> I do this measurement using stopwatch from the moment I hit RET at the
> SUBJECT prompt and the result is reproducible. The process is instant
> without flyspell.
...
> GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.6.0, NS apple-appkit-949.43)

Hmm, it may be a macos problem, because on this system (also a core2duo,
though with only 1GB of RAM...) there's no perceptible delay when doing
the above.

(GNU Emacs 23.0.92.9 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.0) of 2009-04-14 on dhlpc061)

-Miles

p.s. I've never tried using flyspell in mail... rather handy actually!

-- 
The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or
fears or wishes rather than with their minds.  -- Will Durant