Subject: 24.4; cc

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 16:10:03 -0400

I execute the following function in *scratch* on a fresh emacs -Q

  (modify-frame-parameters nil '( (width . 176) (left . -1300)))

My screen is 2560x1600.  Emacs version is 24.4.  System is gentoo/gnome.

The width does become 176.
However, left is not correct (it should be flush left but is nearly
centered).
The weird part is if I execute the same command again (a second C-j in
*scratch), the frame moves to the correct, flush left, position.

(Since my screen is 2560 wide (left . -1300) should have the right edge
a little left of center, instead it is very much right of center.)

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.9)
 of 2015-04-01 on newlap
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Gentoo Base System release 2.2

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --libdir=/usr/lib64 --program-suffix=-emacs-24
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=:gamestat --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --with-dbus
 --without-gnutls --with-gpm --without-hesiod --without-kerberos
 --without-kerberos5 --with-xml2 --without-selinux --without-wide-int
 --with-zlib --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif --with-jpeg
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --without-imagemagick
 --with-xft --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.4-r4 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2
 -pipe' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  eldoc-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  nroff-electric-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e v <tab> <backspace> m <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Setting font to -unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
Source file `/home/gottlieb/.emacs.d/lisp/ajg-courses.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Setting printer to lj
Loading help-funs+...done
Source file `/home/gottlieb/.emacs.d/lisp/ajg-sgml.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Loading /home/gottlieb/.emacs.d/lisp/custom-file.el (source)...
Loading ido...done
Loading /home/gottlieb/.emacs.d/lisp/custom-file.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr gnus-msg emacsbug sendmail eldoc
tsdh-dark-theme ido cus-start cus-load ajg-sgml help-fns+ help-mode info
ehelp rolo ajg-dired dired-x dired ajg-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime password-cache dig mailcap gnus-sum
nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr wid-edit
ajg-printer nroff-mode ajg-nroff ajg-courses ajg-filling ajg-fonts
edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib site-gentoo tex-site auto-loads
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 158048 6897)
 (symbols 48 26684 0)
 (miscs 40 48 140)
 (strings 32 38648 7449)
 (string-bytes 1 1124873)
 (vectors 16 17283)
 (vector-slots 8 470924 3376)
 (floats 8 226 78)
 (intervals 56 275 0)
 (buffers 960 11)
 (heap 1024 23792 3565))