Subject: bug#20552: closed (Re: bug#20552: 24.4; cc)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 09:51:07 +0000

Your bug report

#20552: modify-frame-parameters left edge positioning

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20552: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20552
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20552: 24.4; cc
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 11:50:35 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Bug closed.

Thanks, martin

Subject: 24.4; cc
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 16:10:03 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I execute the following function in *scratch* on a fresh emacs -Q

  (modify-frame-parameters nil '( (width . 176) (left . -1300)))

My screen is 2560x1600.  Emacs version is 24.4.  System is gentoo/gnome.

The width does become 176.
However, left is not correct (it should be flush left but is nearly
centered).
The weird part is if I execute the same command again (a second C-j in
*scratch), the frame moves to the correct, flush left, position.

(Since my screen is 2560 wide (left . -1300) should have the right edge
a little left of center, instead it is very much right of center.)

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.9)
 of 2015-04-01 on newlap
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Gentoo Base System release 2.2

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --libdir=/usr/lib64 --program-suffix=-emacs-24
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=:gamestat --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --with-dbus
 --without-gnutls --with-gpm --without-hesiod --without-kerberos
 --without-kerberos5 --with-xml2 --without-selinux --without-wide-int
 --with-zlib --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif --with-jpeg
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --without-imagemagick
 --with-xft --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.4-r4 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2
 -pipe' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  eldoc-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  nroff-electric-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e v <tab> <backspace> m <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
Setting font to -unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
Source file `/home/gottlieb/.emacs.d/lisp/ajg-courses.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Setting printer to lj
Loading help-funs+...done
Source file `/home/gottlieb/.emacs.d/lisp/ajg-sgml.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Loading /home/gottlieb/.emacs.d/lisp/custom-file.el (source)...
Loading ido...done
Loading /home/gottlieb/.emacs.d/lisp/custom-file.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr gnus-msg emacsbug sendmail eldoc
tsdh-dark-theme ido cus-start cus-load ajg-sgml help-fns+ help-mode info
ehelp rolo ajg-dired dired-x dired ajg-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime password-cache dig mailcap gnus-sum
nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr wid-edit
ajg-printer nroff-mode ajg-nroff ajg-courses ajg-filling ajg-fonts
edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib site-gentoo tex-site auto-loads
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 158048 6897)
 (symbols 48 26684 0)
 (miscs 40 48 140)
 (strings 32 38648 7449)
 (string-bytes 1 1124873)
 (vectors 16 17283)
 (vector-slots 8 470924 3376)
 (floats 8 226 78)
 (intervals 56 275 0)
 (buffers 960 11)
 (heap 1024 23792 3565))