Subject: bug#20549: closed (Re: bug#20549: 24.5; tcl.el: sending region to tcl process produces error)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 01:21:03 +0000

Your bug report

#20549: 24.5; tcl.el: sending region to tcl process produces error

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20549: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20549
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20549: 24.5; tcl.el: sending region to tcl process produces error
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 21:20:11 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.1

Thanks; fixed.

Subject: 24.5; tcl.el: sending region to tcl process produces error
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 19:52:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Steps to reproduce:
- Visit a Tcl boffer
- Start a new Tcl process using C-c C-t
- Select a region containing one or more Tcl commands
- Try and send it to the Tcl process using C-c C-x

Actual results:
- Emacs reports an error: "error in process filter: Text is read-only"
- No Tcl commands are sent to the Tcl process
- Further interaction with the Tcl process buffer becomes erratic

Expected results:
- The region should be sent to the Tcl process, and any commands should
be executed.
- The Tcl process buffer should interact normally, accepting new
manually entered commands and displaying their results.

>From some experimenting and some helpful discussion on IRC, I found that
a very likely cause of the problem is the way in which Tcl mode tries to
erase the prompt in a process buffer.  Apparently it doesn't handle
read-only prompts correctly.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.2)
 of 2015-04-20 on bitzer.hoetzel.info
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11701000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Tcl

Minor modes in effect:
  delete-selection-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  google-this-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  auto-compile-on-load-mode: t
  auto-compile-on-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: (only . t)

Recent messages:
[yas] Loading for `emacs-lisp-mode', just-in-time: (lambda nil (yas--load-directory-1 (quote /home/miki/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20150415.244/snippets/emacs-lisp-mode) (quote emacs-lisp-mode)))!
[yas] Loading compiled snippets from /home/miki/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20150415.244/snippets/emacs-lisp-mode
[yas] Loading for `prog-mode', just-in-time: (lambda nil (yas--load-directory-1 (quote /home/miki/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20150415.244/snippets/prog-mode) (quote prog-mode)))!
[yas] Loading compiled snippets from /home/miki/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20150415.244/snippets/prog-mode
Loading /home/miki/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20150415.244/snippets/prog-mode/.yas-setup...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
test.tcl has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
C-c C-c is undefined [2 times]
Mark set
error in process filter: Text is read-only [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna cl-macs rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
tcl comint ansi-color mule-util hideshow eldoc elisp-slime-nav hl-sexp
.emacs saveplace imenu company-files company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags etags ring company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-semantic company-eclim company-template company-css company-nxml
company-bbdb company-irony irony-completion irony-snippet company-tern s
ucs-normalize dash-functional tern url-http tls url-auth mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw json tsdh-dark-theme delsel
yasnippet cl gv paren icomplete google-this url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit whitespace
flycheck-irony irony-diagnostics irony flycheck find-func rx subr-x
company cua-base cus-start cus-load edmacro kmacro ix grapnel help-mode
easy-mmode dired+ image-dired format-spec image-file dired-x dired-aux
dired pkg-info-autoloads queue-autoloads info easymenu slime-autoloads
sly-autoloads package epg-config server ffap thingatpt url-parse
auth-source eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
url-vars jka-compr auto-compile byte-opt advice help-fns packed dash
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 307146 13122)
 (symbols 48 30569 0)
 (miscs 40 107 134)
 (strings 32 49936 10483)
 (string-bytes 1 1483638)
 (vectors 16 44446)
 (vector-slots 8 797314 12468)
 (floats 8 417 615)
 (intervals 56 277 67)
 (buffers 960 15)
 (heap 1024 39504 4017))