Subject: bug#20538: closed (Re: bug#20538: 24.4; Attempt to delete a surrogate minibuffer frame)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 09:51:04 +0000

Your bug report

#20538: 24.4; Attempt to delete a surrogate minibuffer frame

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20538: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20538
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20538: 24.4; Attempt to delete a surrogate minibuffer frame
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Roland Winkler <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 11:50:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

 > Looks fine to me.  Info-search "surrogate" in the elisp manual now
 > matches delete-frame.

So I'm closing this bug.

Thanks, martin

Subject: 24.4; Attempt to delete a surrogate minibuffer frame
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 14:35:40 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I do not know how I got into this (sorry, I do not have a recipe to
reproduce this either).  I have a frame I want to delete by running
delete-frame.  Yet this only gives me the error message

  "Attempt to delete a surrogate minibuffer frame"

and delete-frame refuses to do its job.  What does this mean?  If
nothing else, Emacs could do a better job explaining to the user
what it believes is going on and how the user can possibly resolve
this.

Possibly a relevant detail: I like to run Ediff sessions with one
split frame showing both buffers I need to compare.  Yet Ediff
sometimes comes up with its own ideas about resources it likes to
use, grabbing another frame to show each buffer in a separate frame.
If I remember correctly this happened here, too, that is, maybe
Emacs believes that the frame I want to delete was/is part of the
Ediff session.

PS: Neither the Emacs nor the Elisp manual mention "surrogate" in
any context.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2014-10-26 on regnitz
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.ISO-8859-15
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-9-unix