Subject: Re: bug#20528: 25.0.50; `keymap' property to work for symbol-value, not just symbol-function

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 09:22:40 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Why can't you dereference the function symbol when assigning the
>> property? ;-)
>
> When the function symbol is used, often the reason is so that it works
> even if the keymap is not yet defined (e.g. the keymap is autoloaded).
>
>> But the real reason is that I want to have `C-u C-x =' show the
>> variable name, not the raw keymap value (after [Show]).  In my
>
> Would be nice, indeed.  But I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

And I think it would make things more ambiguous -- today we only look at
the symbol's function value, and if we looked at both the function value
and the, er, value value, we'd have to come up with rules for
precedence.

So I think the way it works currently is fine, and I'm closing this bug
report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no