Subject: Re: bug#20526: BUG: text file is detected as binary

From: Sebastian Pöhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 19:47:25 +0200

Thanks for this fast feedback. Your explanation sounds very reasonable. As
you may have noticed this a makefile out of openwrt with is mainlined there.

1) I downgraded to grep 2.20. Issue is gone with the same environment. So
this is in my eyes a regression.

2) I will also open a report at fedora, maybe the use some strange setting
in building the new packet.

3) I will send a short notice to openwrt asking if they think it is fine to
use ë or ö. I personally have a strong opinion on that ;)
Am 07.05.2015 6:23 nachm. schrieb "Paul Eggert" <[email-masked]>:

> That file uses ISO 8859 encoding (presumably Latin-1 or Latin-9), so you
> need to grep it in a locale compatible with that encoding.  It appears that
> you ran grep in a UTF-8 or other incompatible locale, which meant the ISO
> 8859 encoding wasn't valid and was treated as binary gibberish.  You could
> try working around it with this:
>
> grep -a PKG_NAME Makefile
>
> or this:
>
> LC_ALL=de_DE.iso885915 grep PKG_NAME Makefile
>
> but in either case 'grep' might output the binary gibberish, which could
> cause other problems.  So it might be better to change that non-ASCII
> character in the file's string "Raphaël" to use an encoding compatible with
> the encoding of your locale.
>