Subject: Re: bug#20522: 25.0.50; ‘C-u C-x=’ output, ‘to input’ field

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 07:10:23 +0000

tag 20522 + patch
tag 20519 + patch
thanks

>>>>> Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

 > C-u C-x 8 RET GREEK CAPITAL LETTER PSI RET C-b C-u C-x =

 > Buffer *Help* says this, for field `to input':

 >   type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"

 > It should instead be able to say something like this:

 >   type "C-x 8 RET 0x03A8" or "C-x 8 RET GREEK CAPITAL LETTER PSI"

 > Both of these pieces of information are shown in the same buffer
 > *Help*.  It seems a bit silly to tell a user to type HEX-CODEPOINT or
 > NAME, when these are known when *Help* is created.

	Please consider the patch MIMEd.

	* lisp/descr-text.el (describe-char): Show the exact C-x 8 RET
	invocation instead of a template.  (Bug#20522)

[…]

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  np. Danger Zone — Rainbow   … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A
--- a/lisp/descr-text.el
+++ b/lisp/descr-text.el
@@ -618,7 +618,9 @@ defun describe-char (pos &optional buffer)
                                    'help-args '(,current-input-method))
 				 "input method")
 			 (list
-			  "type \"C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT\" or \"C-x 8 RET NAME\"")))))
+                          (format
+                           "type \"C-x 8 RET %04x\" or \"C-x 8 RET %s\""
+                           char (get-char-code-property char 'name)))))))
               ("buffer code"
                ,(if multibyte-p
                     (encoded-string-description