Subject: bug#20499: C-x 8 shorthands for curved quotes, Euro, etc.

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 17:40:06 +0000

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> From: Ivan Shmakov  Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 16:48:39 +0000
>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 12:15:07 -0400  From: Richard Stallman

 >>>> By the way, it would be good to have a file that consists of all
 >>>> of unicode in numeric order.  That would provide an easy way to
 >>>> pick some unicode character (whose code you don't remember) and
 >>>> copying it into some text.

 >>> Would admin/unidata/UnicodeData.txt do?

 >> I guess given the “copying” part, the request is more along the
 >> lines of, say:

 > We distribute that file with Emacs, so "copying" is irrelevant,
 > I think.

	You cannot /copy/ a random Unicode character from
	UnicodeData.txt – precisely because there’re /no/ non-ASCII
	characters in that file in the first place.

	Arguably, you cannot pick one, either, if you only know how it
	/looks/ – not how it’s named.  (As in: named in English.)

	Otherwise, I tend to keep a copy of [1] at hand, sure.

[1] http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NamesList.txt

[…]

 > Did you try to make this longer than 4 lines in a well-covered part
 > of the BMP?  Most of Unicode codepoints on most end-user machines
 > will display as glyphless boxes, and that's _after_ Emacs searches
 > like hell after each character system-wide.  IOW, such a feature
 > would be an annoyance, IMO.

	On a tty frame, it surely wouldn’t.  But I’ve got your point.

	One more reason to use a dynamic list, BTW.  Even more so if
	there’s a way to check whether the glyph is available (or,
	rather, was available when Emacs last checked) from Lisp.

[…]

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://am-1.org/~ivan/      … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A