Subject: bug#20489: 25.0.50; next-error-find-buffer chooses non-current buffer without good reason

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 11:15:09 -0400

On Tue, 5 May 2015 18:05:29 +0300 Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote: 

DG> On 05/05/2015 01:33 AM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Some history: I actually, long ago when `next-error' turned into a
>> navigation facility, we[1] had the idea of "meta next-error" which would
>> navigate one level higher than local. That would have made this whole
>> discussion, including rankings by priority, moot by simply saying "to
>> navigate between files (compile, grep) you use `meta-next-error' or
>> whatever it's called. to navigate inside file locations, use
>> `next-error'."

DG> Thanks for the link.

DG> That would've been an improvement, but it wouldn't solve a related
DG> problem: when *grep* buffer was created after a *compile* one, how to
DG> get back to using *compile*'s list of errors.

I think we have to accept the visible or last used one in that case.

>> Perhaps you are interested in adapting that code instead of hacking on
>> the current scheme?  Or should I retry implementing it?  9 years late is
>> not too bad, right? :)

DG> 9 years is just right, but I'm not sure how much of that
DG> implementation we would reuse. It's also not obvious me how to move to
DG> the next file, if you only have a next-error-function.

I'm happy to make suggestions but please take this in a direction that
makes sense to you.

Ted