Subject: Re: bug#20489: 25.0.50; next-error-find-buffer chooses non-current buffer without good reason

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 00:08:20 +0200

On 3/7/18 11:11 PM, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> For one thing, next-error-select-buffer doesn't call next-error-hook.
>>
>> And there are other such places (e.g. like you were saying
>> xref--xref-buffer-mode should set next-error-last-buffer similarly).
> 
> 3. And hooks are intended only for user customization.

Well, we do use them in the core as well. E.g. in 
define-globalized-minor-mode.

>> Aside from that, why would we want to obscure this piece of logic behind
>> a hook?
> 
> Instead of a hook I think it would be fine to define an “advisable” function
> like Stefan asked to do for next-error-find-buffer-function to be able
> to put advices on it.

next-error-find-buffer-function would advise it? How? I don't quite see 
the design.

Also, next-error-save-last-buffer-function might be invoked before 
next-error-find-buffer-function is ever called. E.g. by compilation-start.