Subject: bug#20487: closed (Re: bug#20487: 25.0.50; Format and behavior of *xref* buffer is non-standard)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 23:08:01 +0000

Your bug report

#20487: 25.0.50; Format and behavior of *xref* buffer is non-standard

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20487: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20487
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20487: 25.0.50; Format and behavior of *xref* buffer is non-standard
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Vitalie Spinu <[email-masked]>
Cc: Hielmut Eller <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 01:07:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 05/04/2015 12:49 AM, Vitalie Spinu wrote:

> *Completion* and *Compilation* are very dissimilar in terms of behavior
> and purpose. But I think I see your point. You try to make a case for an
> electric *xref*. That quite could be, but I would rather not have that
> as a default.
>
> As I have said before, there are common electric interfaces (Helm, Ido
> etc.) that will surely pick xref up later. I would prefer to have a
> *standard* default alternative which is not electric.

And it's not electric anymore. With that, I think it's time to close 
this bug: the other request, switching to the non-grouped display, is 
not going to happen in the default presentation.

Thanks for the discussion!

Subject: 25.0.50; Format and behavior of *xref* buffer is non-standard
From: Vitalie Spinu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 00:20:14 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

*xref* buffer doesn't look nor behaves like other buffers that display
references (*grep*, occur*, *compilation*).

Particularly

  - on RET *xref* is buried. That's not that other modes do and it's
    rather inconvenient IMO.

  - Display is inneficient. Currently two lines are used to display one
    item:

       /home/vspinu/bin/r-source/src/library/stats/src/port.c
         nlminb_iterate(double b[], double d[], double fx, double g[], double h[],
       /home/vspinu/bin/r-source/src/include/R_ext/stats_stubs.h
         S_nlminb_iterate(double b[], double d[], double fx, double g[], double	h[],

    I would rather prefer the way *grep* does that.

As we are on this, would be nice if *grep* and *xref* cold abbreviate
file-names by replacing home directory with ~/.

Thanks,

  Vitalie