Subject: Re: bug#20487: 25.0.50; Format and behavior of *xref* buffer is non-standard

From: Vitalie Spinu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 00:20:02 +0200

>>> Dmitry Gutov on Mon, 4 May 2015 00:52:16 +0300 wrote:

 > Okay, let's highlight all group headings this way for now.
 
Thanks for considering this!

 > > items are also bold. So my whole buffer is in *bold*. This makes it
 > > appear dirty and difficult to read. I think bold font should never be
 > > used for large regions. I attach a sample.
 
 > It wasn't bold for me (font-lock-keyword-face is apparently bold in
 > your non-default theme). This one is harder, because *grep* leaves
 > the line contents in the default face.

Keywords usually have striking colors and are often bold. It's fine for
short identifiers but if you highlight the whole line it clutters the
view. Maybe font-lock-variable-name-face as an alternative?
 
 > Personal preferences aside, I hope you can admit that the authors of
 > modern-ish tools prefer the grouped display.

Sure thing. I don't mind this part that much.

It's just that, in case of xref-find-definitions, grouping is done
mostly for one observation which still doesn't make much sense to
me. But you are right; there are xref-find-references and
xref-find-apropos out there and making separate interfaces for those
would be silly.

  Vitalie